Monday, November 22, 2010

A Homemade Christmas Wreath


OK, so first off I have to give credit where credit is due. I got this great idea from the nato's. {thanks Jami!}   I did put my own little twist on it and I think it turned out great, if I do say so myself!  For the record, this was my first little rendezvous with a hot glue gun.  It definitely won't be my last though!  I think I am addicted.  I am now looking around the house trying to see what else I can make with it.  How have I never had one of these before now?  Anyway, for full instructions, go to Jami's blog as I am terrible with tutorials, but I'll give it a very basic and brief  try.

what you'll need:
a foam floral circle
an old book you don't care about anymore
a hot glue gun with clear sticks 
scissors
twine or ribbon

step 1)  
Rip out a bunch of paper from a book you really don't care about anymore.  I know it seems like your breaking some sort of law by doing this, but I promise the library cops have better things to do.

step 2) 
Roll a bunch of them into cone shapes and secure them with your glue gun on low heat.

Step 3) 
Attach with glue gun to the front of your foam circle like picture below.  

step 4)  
once you have completed the circle, cut off about an inch from the narrow side of your cone on about 15 or so {depending on how big your circle is}.  Save your tiny cones!

Step 5) 
Attach these trimmed cones to the outside upper edge of your ring.

step 6) 
Bend each cone toward the last round of attached cones.  Attach to other paper cones with a dot of glue to hold them down.  On my wreath, these end up on the back, so flip it over and move on to your next step.

step 7)  
OK, so I forgot to take a picture of the next step, so I will try to explain as best I can. Basically you repeat step five, but you cut it about an inch and a half and you attach them to the center of the ring.

step 8)  
Next you will basically repeat step 6.  Bend and attach with a dot of glue.

Step 9)  
line the center of your ring with paper and attach your ribbon, or twine for hanging.

step 10)  
glue your trimmings {mini cones} around the center.
Voila!  Here's your finished product! 
You could do this with virtually anything from felt to music sheets.  It's all good.

All in a crafternoon...If you try it out, send me a link.  I would love to see your version!

1 comment:

  1. That better not have been one of my books! But it does look pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete