Monday, May 2, 2011

Ty's surgery

Poor little Ty had to have tubes put in both ears, and his tonsils and adenoids removed this morning.  He has been plagued with frequent ear infections and sore throats, not to mention, his tonsils and adenoids were HUGE!  

I went back and forth on what to tell him and how to tell him about the upcoming surgery.   So I opted for the sugar coated truth.  I told him the at the doctor was going to help him so he did not have to have so many ear infections and help his throat so it would not "get weird", as he calls it, all the time.  In order to do this he would have a sore throat when the doctor was done but he could have all the ice cream, jello, and Popsicles he wanted after his surgery.  I also told him that Mommy and Daddy would get him a special present to help him get well faster.  

So he has gone around and told every body that would listen what was going to happen.  He woke up this morning {early} and said he was ready to go to the doctor so he could have his present and Popsicles. 

As for me, I had the whole guilty Mom thing going on even though I knew it was for his own good.  I teared up a few times, but I know I will make it up to him in the next few days...Popsicle for dinner?  Sure, why not?


As you can see, he was pretty happy in the waiting room...





The surgery went really well.  It is done as outpatient now and we were in and out in about 4 hours.  When he woke up, he did a big loud gulp and started crying inconsolably.  This of course brought tears to my eyes too.  the nurse upped his meds and he was out like a light again, but comfortable.

He looks like such an Angel here...

On the way home he was out again...look at those big pouty lips!

He did the whole dry heave thing once on the way home and that was enough for him to hold on to the plastic peanut bucket for dear life...even while opening his present.
 
Here he is on about Popsicle number three...but who's counting?
I have to say that through it all, he was such a brave little guy.  He has such a hard shell and puts on such a tough guy act, but those who know him best know he is sensitive and sweet in the center. 
We love him so much, and we are so very proud of him.

1 comment:

  1. Poor guy! But he'll feel so much better. I know I did when I had all that done. (like 40 yrs ago!!)

    ReplyDelete